Knifty Knitter

One husband, two kids, lots of pets, little time to knit. Yet I find time anyway.

Friday, May 05, 2006

Yeah, yeah, I know....

First of all I would like to thank all of you for your kind words-both regarding the family's loss, and the well-wishes for my sister's pregnancy. All of your comments are greatly appreciated, and mean so much to me!

Is it me, or did April just fly by? Honestly, I just don't know where it went. Not that I am complaining-I am so ready for the warm weather to get here, and the leaves on the trees are a welcome sight. Here in Michigan the weather can play some serious tricks on you. Just when a person thinks that the warm is here, it can snow. Last year we went down to
Greenfield Village for the Day Out with Thomas event. When we bought our tickets we decided to go on the last weekend in April, figuring that it would be warmer on that weekend versus the weekend before. HA! The weekend before we went, it was sunny and in the 70's. The weekend we went? Blizzard like conditions with temps in the 20's and a windchill that cut to the bone. It sucked. When I was young I could always tell when it was really spring-dad put in the screens and took out the storm windows. He never did this until Memorial Day weekend, even if the whole month of May was mild (it still gets damn cold at night). I thought he was just being a stick in the mud, but now I understand. Storm windows still don't come out until Memorial Day 'round this house.

Tuesday was my mom's 52nd birthday!

















I decided to knit her a little cardi in a green-blue stash yarn. It was some Luxor DK I had in a color called 'Peacock Swirl' (everytime I say it out loud it comes out peacock 'squirrel' much to the delight of Veronica), and made her some beaded matching earrings. I forgot to get a pic of the earrings, but here is the shot of my mom in the cardi. I don't know who hates getting their picture taken more-my mom or I.



Geez mother, would it kill you to smile?

We had a nice dinner and mini-celebration. We have a few b-days in May, including my mom, her dad, and her niece, so we celebrate them all together on
Mother's Day. My mom is getting her quilt from me as her "big gift". I have sewn the top together and have started cutting out the pieces I need to applique to it. Should be able to put the whole thing together very soon.


My knitting, other than my mom's gift, has been pathetic. I did not finish my April socks-in fact I am just about ready to do the toe on the first one. I really don't know what I have been doing with my time. Organizing my fabric and sewing stuff was done, as well as cleaning up all the debris and stuff in the yard after the long winter. I did knit up a bunch of squares for the Warming Grace project, but like a dumb-ass didn't take a picture of them. I swear I don't know where my head is half the time-well, maybe I do but I won't go there. I have been drawing out some designs for stuffed animals to sew up, and came up with a workable pattern for a teddy. Here is the prototype I made up for Veronica. I used an old bathroom my grandma gave me, and just used buttons for the eyes and a satin stitch nose. I think he turned out pretty cute. My mom sure likes him, so I think I will make one up for her as well.


The other day I received my yarn to dye for this month's PS Yarn Swap. I got right to it, but had to stop several times to save Scottie from 'bees'. In fact, to him any insect that flies is a bee so there was much screaming and running yesterday. He is most definitely his father's son. Adam hates insects, so much so that shortly after we moved in together he almost flung himself off the balcony when a fly buzzed him. I have honestly never seen anything like it. His worst enemy is the dreaded earwig. God, it is great fun for me to watch his antics when one of those things get near him. His biggest fear is that they will be in bed with him. During the summer he pulls back the covers and inspects his sheets, then pounds the pillow to make sure nothing is hiding under there. All this because one time years ago when we lived in a duplex one crawled on him at bedtime. Last summer one of Veronica's hair ties was on the bed (the kids are always jumping on it), and he lay right on top of it. I've never seen him move so fast, and then when he saw what it was he tried to play it all cool and just toss it aside. I love him to pieces but man, is he a big baby when it comes to bugs.

Oh yeah, I was talking about yarn-wasn't I. Anyhow, I finally got around to dyeing it, and don't think it turned out half-bad. Now hopefully my swap pal will like it, and that it will stripe as it should. Adam built me a wrapping board and it made its maiden voyage with this yarn, so we shall see!


That is really, sadly, about it. I am looking forward to this month's PS color of green, especially since there is so much of it everywhere-and it is such a welcomed site after months of blah brown and grey. I did dye myself some sock yarn, in some happy colors that I am going to call "Say Hello to Spring". I want to make some little anklets with this:

I will probably work on these tomorrow. We are having a garage sale and I need some "mindless" knitting to do. I am going to Shipshewana Tuesday and all of tomorrow proceeds are going into the 'Teresa Shopping Fund'. Hooray!!

Happy Cinco de Mayo!!!!!!!

Have a fantastic weekend folks!

3 Comments:

  • The green yarn looks great! Your mom's cardi looks good too. Good Job!

    By Blogger Melissa, at 4:07 PM  

  • What a good daughter you are! The sweater for you Mom is beautiful - well done! I am so jealous you are going to Shipsehwanna (sp.)!

    By Blogger Bonne Marie, at 8:01 AM  

  • Lovely sweater for you mother!

    I like the yarn you dyed up for your PS yarn swap pal too!

    By Blogger Jennifer, at 7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home